Updated One Each Way Challenge
No one has ever taken up this old Nursery Files challenge, so we’re giving it a post-season 11 update to see if it will find any takers
This is a challenge to write a longer, more involved story than any of the other challenges here demands. You can write anything from a happy fuzzy family fic devoid of even the whiff of an x-file, to a complete farce parodying the family genre and/or the series, to intertwining all events into a dark mytharc or case-file heavy fic. It doesn’t really matter how you incorporate the challenge elements into your story, just that you do!
There are several common ways Mulder and Scully acquire offspring in fan fiction. Let’s enumerate them.
1. They have a child with someone else that they may or may not have been romantically involved with before the series begins
* bonus offspring: they also have a child with each other before the series begins
* bonus offspring: they also have a stepchild from a previous marriage
2. They find a hybrid child who, like Emily, was created with Scully’s stolen ova
3. Scully leaves the X-Files & Mulder abruptly, and he later learns she was pregnant at the time
4. They have William
* bonus offspring: either Scully or Mulder also has a half-alien baby that may or may not survive
5. They adopt
6. They have a second miracle baby or more after “The Truth”
* bonus offspring: they also have a last minute baby post-IWTB/after 2008
7. 2021 update - They have a no-seriously-this-is-actually-a-miracle baby after season 11.
No fic, not even the snarkiest family-fic parody, exists that includes all of the ways above…yet.
That’s where you come in!
The Challenge: Write a fanfic that spans a few years, ends post-series (uh, post season 11 now, that is), and involves Mulder and Scully building a family by ALL seven numbered ways listed above. Seven ways = a minimum of seven kids by the end of your story. All seven kids must be alive and if not still living with Mulder and Scully on good terms with them at the end.
As we’re pushing out the timeline by several years to accommodate seasons 10 and 11, several of the seven children are likely to be adults by the end of your story and that’s of course ok. Being adults, they can of course also marry and have their own children if it suits your tale.
As our most challenging challenge yet, we have several rules below that you need to follow.
You May Not:
* You may NOT quickly summarize how the children were added to the family (no “Charlie was discovered to be Emily’s twin, then they adopted Mattie after Bill and Tara died, and after William was born had twins Bess and Beth…”) to get it out of the way. This would be in violation of the premise of the challenge, which is to write a fic about building that family - remember, show, not tell.
* You may NOT use a child to cover more than one way. (lil’ Charlie can’t be a hybrid and adopted both)
* You MAY shuffle around the order of one through six as long as all are included (obviously number 1 happens first chronologically, but can be revealed at any point in your story) though 7 should remain post season 11.
* You MAY include Emily not dying after being refound as way 3 or you can have Emily in addition to another hybrid surfacing
* You MAY include any or all astrix’d ways, BUT not in lieu of 1-7. So in addition to one-seven, not instead of (add one astrix’d kid = eight kids total, two = nine…)
* You MAY include multiple children for any way listed above, but again not in lieu of any of the other ways. One child each per way 1-7 is the minimum you’re expected to create, there is no upper limit.
* As hinted at above you MAY defy the expectation we have for silly/snarky family fics given the requirements, if you can make and want to these things into an angst fic instead, feel free. (as long as you have a living kid for each of the seven ways above in the end, you can include additional ones to kill others off)
* You MAY also kill off any astrix’d children that you choose to include in the fic, as they’re “bonus” children
* You MAY tell the story in flashbacks
Please submit your story or the link to it to email@example.com or post here on our submissions Tumblr
1 note · View note
april 10th, 2021
hello, it’s charlie. i just really want to rant about what has been on my mind this morning.
john told me yesterday that he’s was going to a concert of a local band tonight (now last night) and i didn’t think much of it, because i honestly didn’t care. until i saw on paul’s snapchat story that he went to the concert with john. i’m not upset about them going together, i just wish i could have been there.
it looked very fun, besides the fact that there was a huge ass crowd during a whole pandemic and i highly doubt the only people that weren’t masked were the band. my fomo really kicked in when i kept seeing multiple videos from last night pop up.
my anxiety got ahead of me when it occurred to me that i’m a senior in high school. and i don’t really have fun with my friends like i’d like to which could be going to parties, concerts, hangouts. that then again brings in the fact that covid is still a thing, but safely, i really don’t make plans that are bitchin’ like a whole ass concert.
i started to think again and i remembered that as bad as i feel to be missing out on all these great things, i also remember that i like being alone sometimes. i like to do things for me and not for others. i want to be a hollywood star soon and the parties/events/what kind of other things they go to will fill my void of missing out on things now. i’m miserably excited for my future and i will miss my friends and our laughs.
i can still have my friends and my good times. i’m just feeling very weird about this whole thing and don’t know how to express myself other than that.
in the end, always be good.