Continuing the last of the Digital Monster (DMOG v1 V-Pet) Digimon getting a re-art. Here, Danielle has completed these two. In both cases, she HDified/recolored the textures and used the new custom toon shader I made to get that old Bandai hard shadow look.
Devimon - This pose is awesome and fairly unique. I haven’t seen anything like this one and really enjoy how it turned out. One thing that’s not obvious with these art pieces is how tough it is to fit them into the card frames. Yes, they’re technically full art frames, but they’re also like the old square shape due to the lower HUD obscuring much of this. So this Devimon fits nicely without a lot of obfuscation and it really pops. I fixed up the colors in photoshop so the card is more printable. Anyone remember when this was called “Darkmon” in the US? lmao
Monzaemon - Love how her pose turned out here. This is a particularly difficult model to work with and generates a lot of glitchy vertex clipping. This result definitely looks a lot like the cute yet menacing Monzaemon we all know. Incidentally, I changed the card stats back to the PS1 card game originally and this card is just so ridiculous. I had to put in at least some mitigating factors. Anyone remember when this one was called “Teddymon” in the US? Or even better, weird fake cheats on how to get a “flaming Teddymon”?
More DMOG v1 art updates! These two took some serious effort and time. While Tyrannomon, Numemon, and Betamon were mostly typical texture fixes (HDify + coloring) with some simple poses and a custom toon shader to get the stark black shadows of the 1990s Bandai appearance; these two hellions took quite some more effort but the payoff was equally good I think.
Airdramon - Beyond a typical texture fix, I had to use Blender for this one. The problem is not all Digimon are converted for MMD. But like the upcoming set CJ will show, I have learned recently how to better increase the quality of the renders and their appearance by providing environment details and working with the shader nodes. It’s really interesting to see the game develop alongside my own skill at making it. I spent a lot of time posing this just right and tried to mimic the original style for Airdramon’s pitched look with the Digital Monster. The basic form is possible to mimic but of course the full style is out of reach due to significant changes in the final production officially. I went for that “squished” and fat look, it’s adorable. I spent even more significant time in post production airbrushing many of the parts and manually fixing the shading. Overall, I think it looks the best of the DMOG re-art set!
Meramon - This is a bastard! Meramon’s CSHM model is really gross in general. He just looks like he has orange fur. This one is a bit better though it’s still like he’s made of frozen fire spikes. Honestly I get why a Meramon model is tough to build. Fire rises in the atmosphere and each spike on a meramon would therefore have to curve with a vector toward the top of the screen, which is prohibitive. I used copious time on the textures, attempting to create my own custom ones. I succeeded in the end but it was arduous with no immediate access to the UV. I replaced the face texture with the Meramon 1990s Bandai official art as well, which I think shows nicely. I assumed this would require a lot of post-production touchups but I was wrong, it only needed color graded to not lose significant detail when converted for print. The fire effects added are all done in 3D space unlike the prior one which was done as 2D in post. I think this turned out OK, but maybe some of you hate it or love it. It was nearly impossible to use my new custom toon shader to get the proper blackbody shadow look from the Bandai art, but I tried anyway. At one point I used MMDTools to import this to Blender and created a custom Normal map in photoshop just to see if it would help a bit. Turns out, you should not use a normal map for fire! lmao
1 note · View note