Quarantine Reads Part 5
part 1 | part 2 | part 3 | part 4
101. The Opposite of Loneliness: Essays and Stories by Marina Keegan: published post-humously after a car accident when she had just graduated. her family, teachers, and classmates from NYU worked together to collect the writing and get it published.
102. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams: first book in the series. absurd humor. SPACE. the last human? really bad poetry.
103. A Bad Deal for the Whole Galaxy by Alex White: book 2 in the Salvagers series. picks up a few months (a year?) after the events of book 1. couple new characters. story gets darker.
104. The Worst of All Possible Worlds by Alex White: final book in the Salvagers series. rag tag bunch tries to save the world using a beat up old ship, some robot armor, and a lack of magic. picks up right after events of book 2.
105. The Good Lord Bird by James McBride: a what if look at the failed Harper’s Ferry slave revolt. told from the pov of a black child. content warning for slavery, abuse, violence, death/murder, guns, knives
106. The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams: more of the same from the first book - just a bigger playground as the protagonists are more spread out
107. Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America by Ibram X. Kendi: what it says on the tin. really long. excellent writing. organized around individual thinkers both pro and anti racist. Kendi’s first book, introduces his idea of the anti-racist as opposed to “not racist”
108. Life, the Universe and Everything by Douglas Adams: the story continues. book 3 in the series.
109. We Interrupt This Broadcast by Mary Robinette Kowal: short story from the Lady Astronaut series. can read for free online.
110. The Lady Astronaut of Mars by Mary Robinette Kowal: short story from the Lady Astronaut series. can read for free online. set in the future from the third book.
111. The Phobos Experience by Mary Robinette Kowal: short story from the Lady Astronaut series. can read for free online.
112. Amara’s Giraffe by Mary Robinette Kowal: short story from the Lady Astronaut series. can read for free online.
113. The Relentless Moon by Mary Robinette Kowal: book 3 in the Lady Astronaut series. definitely need to read the others first. highly recommend
114. Rocket’s Red by Mary Robinette Kowal: short story from the Lady Astronaut series. can read for free online
115. Young Zaphod Plays It Safe by Douglas Adams: short prequel story to the hitchhiker’s universe.
116. So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish by Douglas Adams: book 4 in the hitchhikers series.
117. The Bad-Ass Librarians of Timbuktu: And Their Race to Save the World’s Most Precious Manuscripts by Joshua Hammer: non fiction. kinda felt padded, like it had started as a long article and to make it a book he included a bunch of stuff that wasn’t totally necessary. VERY interesting though.
118. Wait for Night by Stephen Graham Jones: tor.com short story, immortal beings, graves
119. The Bookman’s Tale by Charlie Lovett: cool split timeline story tracing an invented “undiscovered” shakespeare. follow the book’s journey from beginning to present, and in the present, follow two people trying to find the provenance of the book. family drama, off screen character death, violence, feuding neighbors, shakespeare, theft
120. Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams: book 5 in the hitchhikers series.
121. The Outsourcerer’s Apprentice by Tom Holt: book 3 in the youspace series. someone is trying to take advantage of youspace for it’s natural resources, telemarketing capabilities, etc. a young maiden figures out how to make it rich, a hero bumbles around
122. The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness by Michelle Alexander: non-fiction about the prison system in american and how it disproportionally affects black men and women. how it got that way and what’s being done to help and hinder. 10th anniversary edition includes a look back by the author as well as an update
123. Becoming by Michelle Obama: first lady michelle obama’s memoir, written a few months after leaving the white house
124. Off the Ice by Avon Gale: m/m romance novel. there is sex. young NHL player decides to go back to college for summer classes to get his degree and falls for his teacher. his teacher thinks he’s just a slacker jock. first in a series.
125. Men We Reaped: A Memoir by Jesmyn Ward: lyrical memoir. 5 men in her life that were taken too soon, including her brother. told in reverse order. trigger warnings: drug use, murder, police brutality, racism, alcohol abuse. absolutely beautiful writing, heartwrenching events.
1 note · View note